Tuesday, March 1, 2016

My Patent Came

Yesterday in the mail, I got the official hard copy of my patent for MiniBlindRx. It was printed on thick cotton stock and had a pretty gold foil stamp on it. Of course I will frame it. And yet it felt a little anti-climatic. The whole process took 4 years and close to $5000. I wonder if it was really worth the cost. If I can sell to a large company for more than the development cost then maybe...just maybe it will have been worth it financially.

Even still, taking MiniBlindRx from idea to marketable product has been an invaluable experience for me. Were it not for that experience, I do not know if I would have gained the confidence to do other projects like the inport/export of commodity pens and not developing this premium pen for arthritic writers. I've learned what things are important (like product positioning and finding failure fast) and what part are easy and counterproductive (mailing lists and upfront capital costs).

No comments:

Post a Comment