Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Dividing Up the Work

While I do not mind leaving some details up to the experts, I know I still must rely on myself. Before production, each part of the pen must be modeled in 3D. While I can make 2 dimensional CAD drawings, I don’t have the skills to make 3D computer models. This fact leaves me with three options: 1) rely on the machine shop to make the models, 2) pay someone to make the models or 3) learn 3D CAD and make the models myself. 

My budget doesn’t allow me to pay someone, so either the machine shop does it or I do. If the machine shop does it, then I anticipate much back and forth and frustration trying to get it right.  But if I do it myself and I get it wrong then it could get expensive. Then again, if I get it right then the final design will be exactly as I want.


Being an extrovert, I cannot seem to think without talking. Another option just occurred to me. I think what I might do is make the 2d model in CAD myself. It should be relatively easy for the machine shop to translate that into SolidWorks. All they have to do is rotate around a single axis and add the threading, which they would have to do anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment