Tuesday, May 10, 2016

My Micro Studio

When I lived in the suburbs, I had a studio in the back of the garage. It was completely enclosed, insulated walls, had a door directly to the outside and a North light window. As an artist, I never had it so good. And I do miss it. 

Moving to a city apartment has forced me to be more efficient. In a way I'm fortunate because my intimate knowledge of various approaches to oil painting has allowed me to identify how to adapt. I've simplified. I've purged myself of distracting clutter and now focus on the essentials. 




My micro studio takes up about 50 square feet. The actual apartment floors are protected by a wood-grained foam exercise mat. The "workhorse" paints, bottles of mediums and brushes fit in the large tackle box (left). I keep the infrequently used paints in two small bins (right). In the center is a special palette box I created (more on that at another date). The folding paper screen on the right hides the mess from view.

Actually, I have to admit. It's the perfect set-up for me, in this place, at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment