Monday, May 9, 2016

Just One Thing, Part 2

"The dog that chases two rabbits will catch none." - Chinese proverb

Artistically at least, I have narrowed myself down to oil painting. Anyone who is creative knows how difficult it is to maintain that kind of focus. But I am also pulled toward product development and e-commerce. I think I can do both because they use two different parts of the brain despite both being design related. Then again, I am afraid of stretching myself too thin...again. Seth Godin wrote an important book about quitting. He points out that quitting is not always a bad thing and is in many ways critical to pursuing the most important goals and build on the most productive skills.

I devoted 20 years of my life to oil painting. Despite achieving some modest success, it has really always been mostly a passionate hobby. And for a while it's been getting short shrift. I have focused on making money with product development and e-commerce. Maybe its time to think about bringing those things together in a meaningful way. Maybe its time to stop trying to do it all myself and partner with like minded people.

But then I would have to quit something. That's always a hard thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment